Manual Utility Billing
There are two ways to charge utilities to your tenants. Please select and follow the instructions for the category which best fits your scenario.
METHOD 1: If the utility company provides individual bills for each tenant or property.
- Click the properties tab, and post an expense to the property for which the bill is for. You can do this by clicking on the red $ or right-clicking on property > selecting Post Expense.
- Enter the amount, payee, etc.
- From the "Charge Tenant" dropdown, select the tenant you want billed for this utility. (see screenshot)
- Now 'Post Expense' and the utility expense will carry-through to the tenant's ledger as an expense with the same values.
METHOD 2: If you receive one bill with multiple tenant charges and are re-billing this to the tenant(s).
- Go to the Accounts tab > and post an expense to the account which will pay the utility bill. Enter each portion as part of the split transaction, as shown in the screenshot here and post the expense. (click here for more information on how to enter split transactions)
- Re-enter the ledger for the bank account you just posted to and locate the transaction (typically the last transaction in the ledger). Click on the paper/pencil icon on the right to edit, or you can right-click on the transaction and select Edit Transaction.
- Within the edit split transaction screen, you have the option to edit each individual associated transaction. In the screenshot below, the red arrow points to the edit transaction option. If you do not see it, back up and complete step 2.
- If you would like to charge the tenant in addition to the unit/property, click the paper-pencil button. This will put you into the transaction edit window.
- Within the transaction edit window, select from the Charge Tenant drop-down the appropriate tenant to charge.
- Click Save Changes, and you will be returned to the split transaction edit window. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as many times as necessary until all tenants have had their charges applied.
Important Note: Once you have edited each individual transaction and all tenants have been charged, you will be returned to the main split transaction edit window. Click Cancel, do not click Save Changes or it will override your changes and all of the transactions will be charged to the first tenant you entered.