Begin Charges On Date
If you enter a past date into this field, the program will generate invoices on the tenant's account from that past date until now. If the past date that you entered was months or years ago, it could end up showing a very significant past due amount for the tenant due to all of the past invoices that were generated.
Options to Correct a Tenant Ledger Balance
- Manually post each of their past payments.
- Manually post one payment that zero's out their entire past due balance. For example, if their balance is ($16,389.68) then post a payment for $16,389.68 to indicate that they are now paid in full.
Information on posting single or multiple payments to a tenants ledger can be located here: Receiving a Payment
- Or you can change the begin charges on date so that invoices begin now or at the first of the year instead of months or years back in the past. This will not affect their move-in date or their lease renewal date, it will simply change the number of invoices that are showing as due on their account.
System Advice: Not a recommended option to correct an established tenants ledger in the system as this option will replace all the tenant rent charges affecting the established balance. Used most often when correcting a move-in date during tenant placement into a property.
To Change the Begin Charges On Date
- Click on the Tenants tab.
- Right-click on the tenant and select Update Lease from the menu.
- Focus on the left side of the screen that refers to the move in date. Make note of the move-in date because you'll need to come back and re-enter it later.
- Change the move-in date to the actual date that you would like the invoices to have begun on in the tenant's account.
- Change the setting that asks if you would like to update the accounting from No to Yes
- Click the Update Move-In Date button at the bottom of the screen.
After a few minutes, all of the invoices on the tenant's account will update to reflect the changes you just made. The date you jotted down in step 3 is now needed.
To Correct the Move-In Date
Now that the ledger is corrected, you will return the move-in date back to the actual date of move-in.
In your Rentec Direct Account:
- Complete steps one and two above to return to the same settings page.
- Enter the tenant's original and actual move-in date that you made note of earlier.
- This time leave the default update accounting set as No.
- Click the Update Move-In Date button. This will display the move in date on the Tenant's tab and will not affect the lease renewal.