Manual Utility Billing
There are two ways to charge utilities to your tenants. Please select and follow the instructions for the category which best fits your scenario.
METHOD 1: The utility company provides individual bills for each tenant or property
If your utility company provides individual bills for each tenant or property, use the following instructions.
In your Rentec Direct account:
- Click Properties
- Right-click on the Property for which the bill is for and choose Post Expense from the drop-down menu
- Fill in the Transaction Details: amount, payee, etc.
- From the Charge Tenant dropdown, select the Tenant you want to be billed for this utility
- Click Post Expense when finished and the utility expense will carry through to the tenant's ledger as an expense with the same values.
METHOD 2: You receive one bill with multiple tenant charges and are re-billing this to the tenant(s)
If you receive one bill with multiple tenant charges and you are rebilling these charges to the tenant(s) use the following instructions.
Step 1 - Enter the Split Transaction
- Click Banking
- Right-click the account which will pay the utility bill and choose Post Expense
- Click the Split Transaction button for as many time as needed and enter the details for each Property.
More information on split transactions can be found here: Entering Split Transactions
- Click Post Expense when finished
Step 2 - Add the Tenant to the Transaction
- Re-enter the Bank Account ledger, locate the transaction, and click the paper/pencil icon on the right to edit (or right-click the transaction and select Edit Transaction).
- On the Edit Split Transaction screen, click the paper-pencil icon. This will put you into the transaction edit window.
- Within the Transaction Details window, use the Tenant drop-down menu to select the appropriate tenant to charge.
- Click Save Changes, and you will be returned to the split transaction edit window. Repeat steps 4 and 5 as many times as necessary until all tenants have had their charges applied.
Important Note: Once you have edited each individual transaction and all tenants have been charged, you will be returned to the main Split Transaction edit window. Click Cancel, do not click Save Changes or it will override your changes and all of the transactions will be charged to the first tenant you entered.