From the Tenant Portal, tenants have access to the most current information on their statement balance, amount and due dates, and if enabled can have access to submit a maintenance work order, schedule online payments, and much more.
System Note: Tenant Portals are available to not only primary tenants but also co-renters placed in the property using the same instructions below.
How to Enable Tenant Portals
Before your tenant has access to a portal, you will first want to enable that option.
In your Rentec Direct account:
- Click Tenants.
- Right-click on a tenant and select Edit Tenant from the menu.
- Under the Contact Info, enter their email address (the email address will be their username).
- In the Tenant Portal section, check the Enable Portal box.
- Generate a password for the tenant by clicking on the paper-pencil icon. A box will pop up where you can create a custom password or have the system auto-generate one for you by clicking the green circle arrows icon.
Note: They have the ability to change this when in the portal, however, if they ever need the password reset, then you will need to do it for them on this page.
- To prompt an email notice to your tenant with login and password instructions, click the Email Tenant box.
Important Note: If you forget to click the Email Tenant box on this page nothing will be sent to the tenant and you will need to repeat this step.
- Click the Submit button.
- The Tenant Details page will appear. Click the Save Changes button.
Important Note: If you believe you have enabled the portal but the tenant is not able to log in, you may have inadvertently forgotten to click the Enable Portal, Email Notifications, or Save Changes button.
Sample Auto-Generated Portal Email
Accessing the Portal and Tenant Portal View
Beyond your custom web address, tenants can also access their portal at this universal web address: rentecdirect.com/tenants
Depending on the options you've enabled in your Program Settings, the Tenant Portal may display:
- Summary -- displays at a glance information on last payment received, next payment due, total currently due, and a payment history chart.
- Statement -- lists every charge and payment posted individually by date in an informative ledger.
- Repairs -- allow tenants to submit work orders and photos through their portal.
- Payments -- if your account is set up for online payment processing and/or cash payments, they will have this option to schedule and pay rent online, and/or find locations to make electronic cash payments.
Information about electronic payments can be found here: Electronic Payment Processing
- Files -- allows tenants to view any files you've shared with them from the File Library.
- Settings -- your tenants can update their email address, password, and email notification preferences.