Receiving A Payment
Rentec Direct offers online payment processing and a cash payment location service which collects tenant payments and posts those automatically within the software for you.
However, if you receive rent and tenant payments that aren't connected with one of the tenant payment services, you will need to enter those payments manually in the software. This example will illustrate how to post an income transaction for a payment received from a tenant.
In your Rentec Direct account:
- Click on the Tenants tab.
- Click on the Green Dollar Sign [$].
Tip: You can also use the drop-down menu, by right-clicking anywhere on the tenant’s account (the area highlighted in dark grey) to choose Post Payment.
Tip: You can also post a payment from within the tenants ledger using the Post Income option. Click on the tenant’s balance, and then click on the Post Income button located at the top of the tenant’s accounting ledger.
Note: Either of these three options listed above will open the Post Payment screen.
- On the Post Payment page:
- Fill in the payment details as you would a single transaction then,
- Click on the Add Line button as many times as equals the number of individual items you wish to separate in this one total payment received. To delete any lines, just select the red X.
- Fill in those separate lines with the property, category, memo, and corresponding amount.
System Note: It is not advised to use the 110 Charge category when posting tenant payments. 110 Charge category is reserved for a tenant charge and not for payments received.
- Click the Post Income button when completed.
You can also click the 'add attachment' link to upload a file directly to the payment transaction, such as a copy of the check or money order. Once all the appropriate fields have been configured, click the Post Income button to post the payment to the account ledger.
The same principle applies to properties and bank accounts. Just visit the appropriate tab in the software and follow the same directions.