Online Payment Processing
Rentec Direct's online payment processing service allows our clients to accept online rental payments from their tenants electronically via ACH or debit/credit card.
It also allows property managers and landlords to accept online rental application fees from prospective tenants via debit/credit card transactions.
Lastly, a payment processing account (also known as a merchant account) also provides the capability of paying out owner distribution (owner payments) via ACH.
- You process more than 5 transactions a month.
- You are wanting funds to deposit quickly.
- You need to transmit funds to the owner's accounts via ACH (monthly disbursements for example).
- You want to pay vendors and contractors electronically by ACH.
- You want the flexibility to charge your own convenience fees for ACH and CC payments.
Important Note: Although you can accept tenant and prospective tenant payments, and forward funds to pay owners, there are some transactions that are not allowed in the system at this time:
- It does not allow clients to send payments to themselves.
- It does not allow clients to refund online payments back to tenants nor applicants.
Online Payment Processing Details
You will be able to accept all US-based ACH checking and savings transactions and optionally accept all major credit cards. Having your own merchant account gives you the flexibility to set the convenience fee for credit cards, as well as the ACH processing fee your tenants pay.
- $0.00 one-time setup fee
- $0.00 a month
- ACH Transactions: $0.00 per transaction received (rent payments) and $0.50 per transaction paid out (owner disbursements and vendor payments)
- CC Transactions (VISA/MC/DISC): 2.95% (AMEX) 3.5%
- You must have an established business checking account to qualify for a merchant account. Other criteria from the merchant service provider (Forte) may be required.
- Charges to a tenant's bank account will show up on their statement with your company name.
Multiple Deposit Accounts for ACH and Credit Card
Rentec Direct includes up to 5 merchant accounts free of charge with a current Rentec Pro or PM subscription if you manage 200+ properties. If you have less than 200 properties or are setting up more than 5 merchant accounts they are billed at $15/each per month.
Information on multiple deposit accounts can be found here: Multiple Deposit Accounts For ACH and Credit Card Payments
See Also: Important Information Regarding Debit/Credit Card Processing and PCI Compliance
Note: If you came to this article looking for information on how to convert your money order, personal check, and cash-paying tenants to a solution that eliminates in-house processing, we offer a solution for that as well.
Information on electronic Cash payment tools can be found here: Electronic Rent Collection For Cash Paying Tenants
Get Set Up for Online Payment Processing Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions to help you start setting up a merchant account for online payment processing can be found here: Payment Processing Setup Part 1